Monday, February 1, 2016

Week 37- Norcross, GA- Spanish Speaking/ New Companion


Our lives will be happier, more fulfilling, and less complicated. Our
challenges and problems will be easier to bear, and we will receive
His promised blessings."
Thomas S. Monson

👆🏼if there is anything I have learned here in Norcross, it is the
truthfulness of this quote. I am so proud of my family for making the
decision to go to church instead of skiing 13 in of fresh powder.
While tempting, I know the Lord's promises are sure. (D&C 82:10) We
just have to trust Him, practice some faith, and align our will with
His.
One of the most frustrating things ever is to watch people struggle
with the consequences that come from disobedience to the Lord's
commandments. I imagine it's kind of like Moses and the children of
Israel. Can we start with when he received the 10 commandments and he
came back to the people and they were worshipping a golden calf? Or
how about when the Lord sent fiery serpents. Moses inquired of the
Lord and was told to put a serpent on a staph and if they were bit,
all they would have to do is look at the staph and they would be
saved. I imagine Moses walking around and someone yells, "¡Socorro!"
So he runs to help whoever was bit. I'm sure he says something like,
"quick! Just look at the staph!" And then they reply with, "Yo sé.
Pero, no puedo." (I know, but I cannot.) (1 Nephi 17:41)
I promise that if we can develop a habit of looking at the staph, that
the Lord will bless us, and that our lives will be much less
complicated.
I've decided that for almost every problem, there's a commandment.
Financial Problems? Tithing.
Need more peace in your life? Keep the Sabbath day Holy.
Most marital and family problems could be avoided by Keeping the law
of Chastity. Also, let us not forget, Honor thy Father and thy Mother,
as well as Love One Another.

Anyways. We are seeing some progress here. We had 2 investigating
families come to church yesterday! As well as a few random less
actives. This is the Lords work, and His will is what comes to pass.
We'll see what happens this transfer, as I am staying.
Sister Van Leuven is actually leaving. She is going back to her first
area. So she's excited for that.
My new companion will be Sister Greenman. She's a sweetheart. So
that's good and she's super nice.
It's kind of awkward because I already started packing, and saying
goodbye to people... Oh well!

"Come What May and Love it!"

(I might be hiding in a closet for an hour today... I need a nap.)

This past week was also full of adventures! On Friday we received a
referral from Salt Lake. We are to check up on those within 24 hours,
and we had a team up that night so... Perfect! She could take us! We
thought the address was really close because it was on a street we
pass by all the time. Well on our way there, we just kept going, and
going, until it got sketchy looking. Which is basically our gage of
how we know that we've left the mission. (We work in pretty much the
sketchyest parts of Atlanta, so as soon as it feels unsafe, you know
you've lost your mantel) We were definitely out of the mission, and
traffic was Horrid. We were about at half mile away from the address,
so we just figured we'd stop by, and then re-refer the address. Well,
we were stuck in bumper to bumper traffic though. I said, "my biggest
fear right now is running into the other missionaries from Atlanta."
Literally 1 minute later we saw elders biking with back packs. Yep.
Definitely out of the mission. We stopped and just gave them the
referral right there and got back to GANM asap.
Then that night, while teaching the triplets, they just got this look
of pure fear on their faces. There was a huge cockroach on the wall!
They all started freaking out. It was pretty hilarious.

We are also teaching another family referred from the English
missionaries. So we teach this older women, and she takes/took care of
6 boys. 3 of them are her nephews. (Age 15)  Their parents just leave
them with her, and disappear. It got to be too much, so those 3 boys
were put in foster care. Then there are these 2 babies, and an 11 year
old. They are her grandsons. They will just be left with her! It is
the saddest thing ever! We started teaching the 11 year old, Daniel.
We taught him the restoration and I literally cried. We asked him if
he had any questions and he said, "I'm just so interested! I'm feeling
so many good feelings! Like joy and peace and excitement!" He was so
excited to receive a Book of Mormon and start reading it. It breaks my
heart. We got back to the car and I just started to weep. I think that
boys will always have a special place in my heart. He reminds me so
much of Robert! You hear about abandonment, but to see it first
hand... The most important thing for these boys to understand is that
they have a Father in Heaven who loves them. They have a savior who
knows them personally and because of Him, all the wrongs make this
world will be made right.

I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer and that He Lives.
I know this is His church, and His gospel. It is a privilege to be a
part of His work. I love it so much, even if there are days I want to
curl up in a closet with a tub of cookies and cream ice cream.

I love and miss you!!!!
Love,

Hermana Wallis
from my iPad