Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Kennesaw/Big Shanty Week 4




Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the prayers and support! I love
being a missionary, so much! And we got 4 new investigators this week!
Sister Stenquist (my companion) told me that's more, well for the past
five weeks they haven't had any!
Because our area has/had been struggling, we decided to do "A month of
consecration" which was by President Wolfert, and basically you just
try extra hard to be exactly obedient and then there's a list of
things we pray for three times a day. One of the thing we pray for is
"faith and courage to talk to everyone". Well, when we go tracting,
we just go to he Kennesaw State University and stop people and try to
talk them! During a week day, well the first day we were out we talked
to 18 people! But it's tougher on the weekends because not as many
kids have classes. However, I started counting how many people we
could have been talking to, but weren't and I realized that we could
easily talk to around 10 people on a weekend in just 2 hours, like we do
on a weekday. I asked my companion about why we never talked to
groups, or people sitting, because I really have no idea what I'm
doing, and she just said I don't know. We then passed 5 kids playing on a field and I
thought "if we just go up and give them cards, that's 5 birds in one
stone". As we kept on walking, I also thought about how we were doing
this month of consecration to have some miracles for the Big Shanty area, and
we were praying for the "faith and courage to talk to everyone" but
we weren't really trying.... So I told my companion that I wanted to
go give cards to that group. She said ok, because she's awesome, but
we didn't have any cards with our numbers on them yet, so we sat on the
curb to write our numbers on some pass-a-long cards and then she
wanted to pray. When we stood up to go back to the group, these two
different kids literally walked to us! We talked to them, and I wound
up giving away my first Book of Mormon of my mission, and we got a
return appointment with them! That's 2 new investigators! We then went
back to the group on the field. The number of people had grown, and
some one was explaining directions to a game so a lot of people were
ignoring us (I also realized too, that telling someone that Jesus has
restored His gospel here on earth is worth interrupting someone if the
spirit wants you to do it). But then this kid from the group literally
came to us and was asking us all these questions! It was awesome! The
next day, Sunday, we had a our first lesson with a former potential
investigator. Investigator #3! And we talked to 8 people on campus!
That almost doubles last week's number for Sunday!
So Sister Stenquist and I are kind of on cloud nine. Especially since
today is her Birthday. We had lunch with Donna, who is the lady from
the food pantry. (She uses her husbands email account, and is just
sweet as can be!)
This week was kind of hectic; on Tuesday I had my first Zone meeting
where we got our mini iPads! And I finally met Caleb Bacon!
On Wednesday we had a lesson with a former investigator! Investigator
number 4! We had a lot of clearing up to do with her- the lesson was
really just "How to begin teaching" from preach my gospel, but it was
needed.
On Thursday we helped pack bags at the food pantry and we had a lesson
with our struggling recent convert. My companion said it was the best
lesson we've had with him, we were able to show him the "hope in God's
light" Mormon message and were able to get him to commit to fasting
yesterday.
Friday we got to go to the temple! It was awesome!
I'm so glad you waited to know what model iPad we got, because I had
no idea we were getting  minis, and I felt so bad. Is there any more
information on the model you need?
Also, about the iPads, so I can read emails during the week, but I
just can't reply until Monday. I love getting your emails! And I love
mail!  I loved the package and I got the calendar! I use to think
that you shouldn't send emails or mail because it "was distracting".
Um no. We like to know that people from home still remember us! It
actually helps me focus better! And if I don't reply one week, it's
just because I ran out of time. I still loved the mail!  And I still
love you!

I have honestly loved being a missionary. It's hard work, and it's
stressful, but it's also very rewarding. One thing I've learned so far
is how much the mission is a refining process for me as a missionary,
and how much of what we are teaching really applies to me. I feel like
I am no more calling the people of Georgia to repentance than I am
calling myself to repentance. This gospel is really about change;
Heavenly Father isn't just asking me to help others change, He's
asking me to change too. We aren't just challenging others to change
through the atonement, we are challenging ourselves to really use the
atonement. I have never been on my knees more, or have I pleaded more
with our Heavenly Father. When He calls His missionaries to the work,
He knows what He's asking of us. Because of the Atonement, He knows
exactly what we feel. He doesn't expect us to do this work alone. In 1st
Nephi 3:7, I think it's often mistaken that Heavenly Father expects us
to do everything He asks of us on our own. I know that I forget that
what 1 Nephi 3:7 really says is "He shall prepare a way for them that
they may accomplish the thing which He commandeth them." That is what 
the Atonement is about. Heavenly Father doesn't expect us to do it all on our
own- in fact, I don't think He wants us too, because He knows that the
reality is, we can't do it all on our own!
 I am so grateful for this gospel and to have the atonement! It has
truly given me pure joy and it is so wonderful to have the opportunity
to commit my time to sharing that!
I love you all so much! And I miss you! I love hearing from you! It
makes my day!
Love,
Sister Wallis