Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Great List


This is a compilation of all the things I've read to bring on my mission. It includes the list from the mission call packet and suggestions from other blogs I've read! Hence why I call it "The Great List".
Obviously each mission is different, and this is customized for my stateside "Hotlanta" mission. Also, I haven't actually been on a mission yet, so I don't really have any experience. Like I said, it's just a compilation of all of the suggestions I've read. Everyone is different and has different needs so just do what you think will work for you

THE GREAT LIST
·      "Missionary Capsule"
o   15 tops
o   9 bottoms
o   2 dresses
o   sweaters (they suggest 1-2, but I have a ton that I'm just bringing)
o   6-8 garments
o   pajamas
o   2 workout outfits
o   2 proselyting shoes
o   1-2 Sunday shoes
o   Shower shoes
o   PDAY clothes
o   Comfort Clothes
§  Full length pants
§  T shirts
o   TBS (to be sent- this works for me because I'm serving in the same country where my parents live. This may not be possible if you are serving abroad)
§  Winter Coat
§  Winter accessories (hat/gloves)
§  Winter Socks/Slippers (?)
§  Winter Shoes (aka BOOTS)
·      Scriptures
·      Library
o   True to the Faith
o   Jesus The Christ
o   Our Heritage…
o   Search for Happiness
*I've read however that it may not be necessary to bring these because they were already stocked in all of the apartments... 
·      Government issued ID
·      Completed immunizations form
·      Temple recommend
·      Temple clothes
·      4 generation pedigree chart + ancestor stories
·      Journals (personal and study)
       Address book (I like this one!)
·      Writing stuff (pens/ pencils/ highlighters... I'm obsessed with THIS for study helpers!)
·      Small shoulder bag (I use this in black ALL THE TIME! I carried it with me in Europe, and when revisiting a friend, he thought I bought it in Paris! Tres chic)
      Large cross body bag (They say no back packs, but depending on your mission president, you may be able to carry cute ones! They just don't want you carrying a north face bag or something. They want to keep the missionaries looking classy. I got mine from Nordstrom Rack.)
       Hangers
·      Umbrella
·      Towels
o   Bath towel (1)
o   Hand towel (1)
o   Wash cloths (8 if you’re ocd like me, 2 if you're normal)
·      Bedding
·      Toiletries (aka feminine products, makeup, soap, whatever YOU like and need. and you don't have to get expensive stuff! Gigi Hadid doesn't! I will probably just go to a drug store and purchase the cheapest 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner when I get there. That's what I did in Spain and the bottle lasted me all 3 months and surprisingly did NOT destroy my hair! You may not be able to do this depending on where your call is though...)
       1st aid kit
·      Sunscreen
·      Sewing kit
·      Laundry Bag
·      Alarm clock
·      Flashlight
·      Batteries
·      Watch
·      Moleskin
·      Camera (get one hooked to wifi so you can send your photos without having to upload them to a computer.  I found mine off amazon.com)
·      Social security card/passport or birth certificate (this is to get a local license if you will be driving)
·      $400 for possible bike 
·      Medications (if you're going abroad, your family may not be able to mail you prescriptions. I'd ask your doctor if you can stock up before hand. Just poor all the pills into 1 container.)
·      Cute stickers
·      Workout guide
·      Print out advice! (I typed up all the "What I wish I would have known")
·      Running shoes!
·      Cute Lanyard (I like these. And they're on sale!)
       *one website said to bring a cute lanyard for your card in the MTC, another said to buy a clip in the MTC for $2 and bring ribbons to tie to them...  Do what you want
·      Small purse
·      Family pictures! (make a calendar with family pictures!)
·      Mini Photo Album (of family and the beloved dog to show people)
·      "I can do hard things!" photo album (I made a mini photo album of me doing things that challenged me to inspire me on tough days)
·     Luggage tags
·      Your own blanket
·      Socks for flats
·     Snacks for the MTC (you may also want to bring snacks if you'll have a long flight or just to have some candy from the US if you're going abroad. For example, you can't buy peanut butter candy in Europe)
·      Tylenol PM
·      Nice razor
·      EmergenZZZZZ (to help with sleeping and avoid sickness!)
·      flashdrive 
·      Dr. Scholls shoe inserts
·      Nail stuff
·      Nice smelling candle (get a mini one from Bath and Body works here!)
·      Cute quotes (an excuse to pin lol)
·      Recipe book (with favorite recipes from mom!)
·      Patriarchal blessing (shrunk down and laminated)
·      Address book
·      Spiritual journal
·      Young Women’s medallion
·      Personal Stationary
·      Diary for companions to sign
·      Black and white shade shirts
·      Ibuprofen
·      Small mirror
·      Piano sheet music for favorite songs
·      Miracle slips (long slips to extend skirt/dress length)
·      Tide to go pen
·      Preach my gospel (small)
·      Dry shampoo
·      Hand sanitizer
·      Spanish dictionary (pocket sized)
·      Water bottle
·      Stamp for return address of mission home for letters
·      Tic tacs (for difficult companions)
·      Sensory Box
o   So this is something a friend of mine suggested to me in high school to help with anxiety. A lot of sister missionaries get anxiety out on the mission field due to environmental factors (high stress, new environment, cut off from family, friends… etc) What it is is a collection of comforting items that appeal to each of the 5 senses. So for me as an example:
§  Taste: dark chocolate bar or a cookie (or whatever you like)
§  Touch: my favorite t shirt (SO SOFT. You may have a piece of fabric you like that’s similar or go to a fabric shop and get a sample size of your favorite texture)
§  Smell: piece of paper with mom’s perfume (or dad’s cologne or that of boy friend, etc) sprayed on it or a flower
§  Sight: pictures of family and friends or flowers etc
§  Hearing: So we have to ignore this one because you can’t wear headphones on a mission, but if you want to do this at home, ideally you’d have a recording of a favorite song. You might just want to keep the lyrics of your favorite song or some sheet music if you play the piano.

Last but not least, a monkey!

Jk, lol. Good luck and Have FUN!