Monday, November 21, 2016

Week 79, Lilburn, GA- Pizza

So, I would just like to share a little story.
Once upon a time last winter or spring, my friend Sister Abram prayed
for pizza. And she got like 3 pizzas that night. I was serving in an
area where we didn't have a meal Calendar and pizza is my favorite
food, so I thought praying for pizza was brilliant.
So I started praying for pizza, but we never got any. Actually, we
weren't getting any meals! This was an area where missionaries in the
past didn't have to plan meals and they'd wind up with 4 dinners a
night, but my companion and I were starving. I began to think it was
just because I didn't have any faith.
I was a faithless missionary.
Then I realized I had also praying to loose weight. So God was
actually answering my prayers!
It gets better, because since then I was transferred here. Where the
Bishop owns a pizzeria. I don't think I've had more pizza in my entire
life. Lol. Everyone feeds us pizza now!
It's said a lot, but God really does hear and answer prayers- in His
own way and by His own timing. In some incomprehensible way He has
answered every prayer I've uttered on my mission (whether or not I
really wanted it in the end...). He knows us perfectly and loves us.
I am so grateful for the opportunity to be an emissary for the Lord.
It's crazy. But it's so good. Arrica is doing about the same. Her 8
year old has a testimony of Jesus Christ that is on fire. She loves to
pray. When we told them about the restoration of Christ's church last
night, she and her sister prayed that Jesus would visit them too. I
know the Lord loves his children and that he hears and answers our
prayers. I know the Book of Mormon is true and that the gospel was
restored through the prophet Joseph Smith.
I love you! Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Hermana Wallis

This kid planted a Pokémon card. Lol we were visiting his mom when he
runs outside with a Pokémon card and covers it with dirt and leaves.
Then he comes back with a glass of water to which his mom says: "what
are you doing?!" "IM GROWING POKÉMON!"





I spoke in church Sunday, here are my notes:
Good Afternoon Brothers and Sisters. I am Sister Wallis, one of your missionaries here in the Lilburn first ward. :) I am very grateful for the opportunity to serve with you and to speak with you today, about my favorite book, The Book of Mormon. I have been asked to speak on the talk "Look to the Book, Look to the Lord" by Elder Stevenson from this last General conference in October.

Elder Natress:
"I am unaware of anyone who is diligently reading the Book of Mormon each day with pure intent and with faith in Christ who has lost their testimony and fallen away."


From the introduction:

The Book of Mormon is a volume of holy scripture comparable to the Bible. It is a record of God’s dealings with ancient inhabitants of the Americas and contains the fulness of the everlasting gospel.

The Book of Mormon is the evidence God has given us that the gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored or brought back here on earth through the prophet Joseph Smith. Christ said in Matthew 7: 15-20 
15 ¶Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

The Book of Mormon is the fruit by which each of us can know for ourselves that Joseph Smith was a Prophet and that the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been brought back here on earth in its fullness. It is promised: "
"Those who gain this divine witness from the Holy Spirit will also come to know by the same power that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world, that Joseph Smith is His revelator and prophet in these last days, and that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord’s kingdom once again established on the earth, preparatory to the Second Coming of the Messiah."

Elder Stevenson said:
"It is a gift and blessing from the Lord that the keystone of our religion is something as tangible and graspable as the Book of Mormon and that you can hold it and read it." And I will add Pray about it. 

One of Elder Stevenson's emphasis is how each of us, no matter our age or circumstance can obtains a testimony of the divinity of the Book of Mormon, which leads us to having a testimony of the reality of our savior Jesus Christ.

When I was 11 I remember at church there being such an emphasis on reading the Book of Mormon that I became convinced I was the only 11 year old not reading it every day. Perhaps from a naturally competitive nature and a sincere desire to know if what everything I had been taught was true, I resolved to read the Book of Mormon. I started with 5 minutes a day. The way I read was well instructed by elder Stevenson:

"If a chapter, verse, or portion becomes difficult enough to discourage your reading, move on to the next and the next...you will discover answers, feel guidance, and gain your own testimony of the Book of Mormon and a testimony of Jesus Christ. As you look to the book, you look to the Lord." 

When I first completed it, I followed the promise to pray to know if it is true. I expected a warm feeling to come over me like so many have described. But I got nothing. Over time I became frustrated:  but I know it's true! There was my answer. And I can tell you that for the past ten years I think I have only missed maybe five days of reading the Book of Mormon. It has blessed my life in incredible ways. The testimony I gained at such a young age has inspired me to never hesitate giving a child a Book of Mormon. 

About a year ago a mother of four children, 3 being 11 year old triplets, the youngest being 9 years old, was setting up her christmas decorations. As she set up the nativity, she asked her children if they knew who the baby in the manger was. Her four children scratched their heads. "Percy Jackson?" One of them finally guessed. At that moment, this mother realized what she had failed to give her children- testimonies of our Savior Jesus Christ. She had joined the church in Honduras when she was 15 years years old, but over a series of events fell away and had not been active in faith for many years. She went onto Mormon.org and requested the missionaries to visit her. At first the Elders visited her, but then the request was passed to me and my companion. On Christmas we went to their house to set up an appointment. When we came to our appointment, the mother led us to their family room where 4 children sat quietly. "Teach them in English so they can understand." And then she sat down. As we taught them we gave them each a Book of Mormon to read. We invited them to pray to know if it is true. Each did so and each came back and told us of their experiences. Each child being different, their experiences were different. One said they had a good feeling as they read the Book, another said they simply had a very peaceful nights rest. The mother began to listen to the Book of Mormon on her phone as she got ready in the mornings. A few weeks later, each of the children were baptized. And this last August, their father was baptized and the mother went through the temple. 
As we asked them about their reading they testified to my companion and I of our savior Jesus Christ. This Christmas, those children know who is the little babe in the manger wrapped in swaddling clothes. 

On another occasion 
I remember one family where the grandmother was the primary care for her grandsons as their parents would often leave their sons with her and disappear for weeks, maybe even months at a time. He eldest was about 10 years old. He would sit and listen as we taught his grandmother. We gave him a Book of Mormon in English and invited him to start reading it. When we followed up with him about whether he had started reading he Book he said, "when I read the Book i get these wonderful feelings in my heart." The sincerity of this boy moves me to tears. If there was one thing I wanted him to know it was that He has a savior. Because of the Sacrifice of Jesus Christ, we know all of the injustice that occurs in the world will one day be made right for those that love him. More than that because of the Book of Mormon we know that Jesus Christ loves us and wants to help us: Alma 7:11-12 reads 
11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.

12 And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.

13 Now the Spirit knoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony which is in me.


The Book of Mormon is a book of power. Through study of Book of Mormon we can gain a personal relationship with our savior as we learn about the significance of his sacrifice for us. 

President Benson further taught: “The Book of Mormon teaches us truth [and] bears testimony of Christ. … But there is something more. There is a power in the book which will begin to flow into your lives the moment you begin a serious study of the book. You will find greater power to resist temptation. … You will find the power to stay on the strait and narrow path.”

My father is a very good man. He taught me to work hard and sees everyone for their potential rather than their past. Every night at dinner he would read to me and my 3 brothers from the Book of Mormon. I believe his favorite story from the Book of Mormon is the account of Alma the younger. You can find his story in Mosiah 27 or Alma 36. Alma the younger was the son of the prophet. However, Alma jr, did not follow the prophet. He spent most of his youth with his buddies trying to destroy the church. Mosiah 27:10-12 He then went on to repent and became a great missionary and leader. Mosiah 27:29, 32. I suppose this is his favorite because of an experience he had on his mission. When he was a district leader he had the responsibility of conducting interviews for baptism. In one week he interviewed a family with five children. He and he other missionaries were excited about this family and thought they would be a great adage to the ward. He also interviewed a former alcoholic who had been homeless. My father was a little weary about allowing him to be baptized, but he passed the interview and was baptized. My dad was then transferred to another area in the stake. About 6 months later at a stake conference my father discovered that the family had become completely inactive, but the former alcoholic was sitting on the front row in a suit clutching his scriptures as he prepared himself spiritually for the messages that would be shared in that meeting. The Book of Mormon teaches us with power. Indeed as we look to the Book we look to the Lord. 
About 6 months ago I was serving in Roswell. IRMA my companion and I met a woman who immediately recognized the divinity of the Book of Mormon as a testament of Jesus Christ. 
"It is estimated that some form of His name is used an average of once every 1.7 verses. Even Christ Himself testified of its truthfulness in these the latter days, stating, “As your Lord and your God liveth it is true.”" -D.C. 17:6 she began to read and study the Book every day. Irma had a sincere love for the savior and a love for the Book of Mormon. I believe she was refugee from very rural Honduras. Her education was very limited, and although we were both speaking Spanish, our communication was not always clear. Because of complex situations she could not get a job and she literally had nothing. My companion and I were concerned about teaching her. How would she get to church? We did not want to burden the members by asking someone to pick her up each week. She did not have any source income, so she couldn't even afford a taxi. Additionally teaching her was becoming very difficult. She would ask the same questions each day. It seemed that progress would be impossible, so we stoped visiting her. About two weeks later, the other sisters in our congregation saw her while she was collecting her mail. They told us we should go back and visit her, she had expressed desires to come to church and was still reading the Book of Mormon. I thought about my fathers story about the former alcoholic and decided that what I really needed to do was pray for charity. We went back to visit her and prayed for charity. It was still difficult. She expressed desires to be baptized. Thankfully some of her neighbors were members and were kind enough to reach out to her and drive her to church each Sunday. Church was always an event. She would say crazy things in the classes. Her pastor in Honduras would call and she would answer during the sacrament. However, she continued to study the Book of Mormon every day, as well as pray and come to church each week. I believe that it was because she was doing these 3 things that a miracle occurred. The week before her baptism, everything just clicked. When she was baptized she was a completely different person. 

Elder Stevenson promised: 
"the truths you will find [in he Book of Mormon] will uplift and inspire you in a similar way. They will strengthen your faith, fill your soul with light, and prepare you for a future you scarcely have the ability to comprehend.
Within the book’s pages, you will discover the infinite love and incomprehensible grace of God. As you strive to follow the teachings you find there, your joy will expand, your understanding will increase, and the answers you seek to the many challenges mortality presents will be opened to you. As you look to the book, you look to the Lord. The Book of Mormon is the revealed word of God."

I would like to add my testimony that I know the Savior lives. He has become my best friend through the scriptures. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet called of God to restore His church because i know the Book of Mormon is true. 
In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.