Monday, November 2, 2015

Week 24- Norcross, GA- Spanish Speaking




Dear Family,

I am first very happy to hear you made it home safely. Thank you for

all your prayers and fasts. The gift of tongues is very special. It is

interesting because it is used completely on the Lord's merit. Hermana

Martinez is always telling me that when I testify everything comes out

perfectly. I feel the Lord gives me the gift of tongues only when

there is something he wants me to say. Then the word just roll off my

tongue. Otherwise, having me serve in a different language was the

greatest idea ever because it is hard for me to say too much and it

totally controls any "genes" I may have because I otherwise don't know

what's going on and don't have the vocabulary or ability to say

anything.

I think the most difficult part sometimes is that I feel like I have

been hacking at this language for almost 10 years. It's a little bit

discouraging. So I just try to not focus on it.

This week is was great. It has been cold and rainy, but the Lord was

very generous to us. We feel like the field here really is "white and

ready to harvest", and he has us harvesting here! We have

investigators, and some baptisms hopefully coming up soon....

Being a missionary really exposes you to recognizing that all the Lord

wants us to be are humble servants willing to do his will because we

love him and love our neighbor. One of our investigators who hopefully

is getting baptized soon will only be able to do so because of the

faithful visiting teacher of her less active granddaughter. Every week

her visiting teacher brings her to church. (Because our investigator

can't drive and they live super far away). She makes sure that her

needs are taken care of and has even brought some of our investigators

great grandchildren. I truly believe that faithful visiting teachers

can change the world because this one is changing our investigator's.

(Would still like to know if ANYONE has a connection with someone

serving in Baranquilla, Columbia)

Sister Martinez and I really like to listen "Yielding our heart's to

God" by Neil F. Marriot. Her favorite thing to quote is the Protestant

hymn:

Have Thine own way, Lord!

Have Thine own way!

Thou art the Potter;

I am the clay.

Mould me and make me

After Thy will,

While I am waiting,

Yielded and still.

(she always does it imitating her accent, which makes me laugh, so you

have to LISTEN to this talk, not just read it. and can I just add that

I feel like this last conference had so sort of a pottery theme

going?)

As we are humble in our trials, the Lord is able to help shape us into

the person he wants us to become; who is someone better than we could

ever imagine. It's crazy to think about who we might become when we

also consider who we once were. This morning I was studying more about

the premortal existence. The scriptures tell us that we were a part of

the "good" who were selected to be "rulers" or better yet, servants of

the Lord's kingdom in his purpose which is to "bring to pass the

eternal life and immortality of man" (Abraham 3:22-26 and Moses 1:39,

also see https://www.lds.org/topics/becoming-like-god?lang=eng)




It is incredibly humbling to think that the Lord has called me,

weaknesses and all, to be one of his servants. And that furthermore,

it means I must have done something right, even with my complete

imperfectness. I think it just goes to show that God doesn't just

focus on who we are, but on our potential and our path on who we are

becoming. This talk and really conference, talked a lot about

humility, in being humble to learn and change as we strive to follow

the Savior Jesus Christ. I really like this new Mormon message:

https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/mormon-messages-2015?lang=eng

Jesus Christ is the center of everything we do. (Well, He should be).

It is His atonement which gives us the grace to accomplish whatever it

is Heavenly Father wants us to do. "The greatest, most capable, most

accomplished man who ever walked this earth was also the most humble.

He performed some of His most impressive service in private moments,

with only a few observers, whom He asked to “tell no man” what He had

done. When someone called Him “good,” He quickly deflected the

compliment, insisting that only God is truly good. Clearly the praise

of the world meant nothing to Him; His single purpose was to serve His

Father and “do always those things that please him.” We would do well

to follow the example of our Master." (Uchtdorf, "On Being Genuine") as

we strive to follow Him, so that we might return to Him, we are

changed. We can take all the bad and turn it over to Him because He

paid the price for us so that we might have eternal life. Isn't that

marvelous?

I am so grateful to be a part of this work. I love it so much. I hope

everyone had a very Happy Halloween! And Happy Day of the dead! I

asked some members what they do with the food they leave on all he

gravesides, and they say that the people clean it up, but all he

Mexicans who believe in it will tell you that their ancestors eat it.

Which is why I had to ask the question in the first place.

Anyways, I LOVE YOU!!!!

Love,

Hermana Wallis

Sent from my iPad