Monday, September 21, 2015

Birthday- Week 18, Norcross, GA- Spanish Speaking

So, sometimes a week as a missionary feels like a whole year. Just so
much happens!
On Tuesday I got to have an exchange with another Hermana. She is from
Ecuador. She is just one transfer younger than me, so she is just
finishing up training. She is very logical and level headed, and
reminds me of me. Haha she only spoke to me in Spanish, and told me
that my Spanish is pretty good, I just need to work on rolling my Rs,
so she gave me a bunch of rung twisters she told me to practice every
day. She was asking me about what the hardest part of Spanish is for
me, and I told her understanding people, but I didn't have a problem
understanding her. I told her it must have been the gift of tongues,
and a blessing from our Heavenly Father for us to be friends. She
replied by saying it's because Ecuador doesn't have an accent so she's
easy to understand. Then, when we were driving to exchange back on
Wednesday, I was thanking her for the exchange and telling her what a
great missionary she was. (Because, really, she is awesome! And just
knows her purpose and testifies!) She replied by telling me "you are a
pretty good missionary, you're problem is just uh language." I just
have to laugh. She had also told me that she thinks it's best to
proselyte in your native language because you are better able to
express yourself. I replied by telling her that it's very humbling to
serve in a different language and I've learned that the truths of
the gospel are plain and simple, and that's all you really need to
share. I just had to laugh because if the language was what made or
break a missionary, I don't think we would have missionaries all over the
world. On Thursday we got Hermana Martinez' driving permit!!! I don't know how
I'm going to teach her how to drive. On Friday we had some extra time
before we exchanged again with Hermana Abram, so I taught her how to
park in the church parking lot. Then I had her drive to another church
parking lot, literally across the street. The whole thing was
hilarious because she was just screaming the whole time while I was
yelling at her to go and actually move the car! It brought back a few
memories....

I have been doing a Deep Atonement study dad sent
me, and something that stuck out to me was that the Savior had to go
through His whole ministry and the atonement, alone. Yes He had
friends, but the whole atonement, he went through alone. D&C 133:50.
And his voice shall be heard: I have trodden the wine-press alone, and have brought judgment upon all people; and none were with me...
And throughout his ministry, there were times when the apostles kind
of failed him. Such as in Mark 4:37-40.
 37 And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full.
 38 And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish?
 39 And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.
 40 And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?
The savior felt and suffered everything that we feel. He understands
everything perfectly. But I think that if there is anything in
particular that he of all, especially feels, it's loneliness. I am so
grateful to have a Savior who suffered for me alone, so that I
wouldn't have to. I know that because he knows me and my needs
perfectly, he has given me the companions I have had, as well as the
leaders. I believe that having Hermana Abram as a friend and leader is
just a demonstration of how the lord works though his servants.
I had a wonderful birthday. Thank you for all of the birthday wishes
and cards. I loved it all so much. It was one of the best birthdays
I've ever had.
Unfortunately, we are short on time today so I won't be able to email
anyone personally. Know that I love you, I love hearing from you, and
I am so grateful for you and for your emails.
I love you!!!!
Hermana Wallis