Monday, August 31, 2015

Week 15, Norcross, GA - Spanish speaking

 Me and Hermana Abram


Sister Martinez outside doing our weekly planning.

So You're never going to believe this, but I am having to learn how to
make my own fun. It's hard, because as you know, I'm not very good at
it. Especially when I'm under a lot of stress... But I am trying. We did our 
weekly planning outside, and I make Hna Martinez dance to MOTAB with
me. Also, I've started singing, because it was a suggestion in
"Adjusting to Missionary Life" (a packet designed to help missionaries
adjust to all of the stresses.)
But it's still hard.
On Tuesday I got to go on exchange with my STL, Hna Abram. She's
actually from Parker! It was a great break! Haha and it helped a lot
because I was able to see how to run a Spanish area.
So what we do is we pick an area where we may have a progressing
investigator or less active and will dedicate an hour or two to that
area. We then have a list of people we can try to see (potentials,
less actives, investigators) if that person falls through. This has
been super successful! We have 2 investigators on date and we have
superseded the standard of excellence- which was super hard to get in
English! Lol. I was so excited!
It's been really cool to see that as we include the Lord in our
plans, how he'll use us. We stopped by our investigator who's on date
to try to see if we could teach the mom, but her little sister
answered the door. She's about 10, and she just looked at us and said,
"Hi guys... There's been a little accident" looking down at her toe,
where a pin in stuck in the tip of her toe. We asked her if her mom
was home, and she said no. Also, our investigator was asleep. So I
told her, "well, let's take that pin out!" She was nervous, but we had
her sit on the couch, and Hna. Martinez distracted her while I took
the pin out. We were then able to clean it and put a band aid on it. I
definitely think the Lord used us for that, because as it turned out,
there was not a band aid in the whole house except for ours, which was
now on her toe....
Sunday we were walking to some apartments to try to contact a
referral and the sweetest miracle happened.
We stopped to talk to this lady. She is older, probably 60s, and
heavily involved in her Baptist church. She said that she is about to
start working in her church's grief program, so we showed her the
video "The Refiner's Fire". 
https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2014-11-010-the-refiners-fire?lang=eng
She really liked it. And it was really fun
to talk to her. As we were saying our good byes, I asked her what her
name was and it was Hope. I know that she was an angel sent by the
Lord. I needed to watch that video. I needed to talk to her. She
reminded me of everything I really enjoy about missionary work. She
gave me hope! I really love talking to people and connecting with them
and helping them see how the gospel is applicable to their life. I
love inviting people to experience the fullness of the gospel. I love
sharing the fullness of the gospel with people.
I needed to watch that video just as much, if not more so than she
did. The mission can be a refining process if I let it be. Some times
are harder than other times. Being here makes me feel like the
temperature of my fire was turned way up (aka this is a hard time).
But I know that with patience, everything will be more amazing than I
could ever imagine.
I know that the Lord is looking out for me and He really does provide
what we need when we fully rely on Him.
The atonement is real. It's only through the atonement, through our
Savior Jesus Christ, that I can do this. He is the way, as stated in 1
Nephi 3:7.
I love you so much. I miss you too.
Love,
Hermana Wallis