Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Week 67- Recovering from Surgery



Hahahaha I broke my arm.

I have been so blessed
to have been surrounded by so many wonderful people throughout
all of this. To start, my companion is one of the most selfless people
ever. In fact, before, I had to set boundaries with her and often comp
inventories were "stop doing everything for me!" My mother was wise
when she advised me to "graciously allow others to serve [me]" at this
time. It has been humbling, and my companion has had no problem with
it. Additionally I'm grateful for wonderful people like Miss Donna,
and all the members who have taken care of me in some way. Above all
I'm grateful for a wonderful mission president and his wonderful wife.
They have done more than I can describe. It's a privilege to serve and
I think that, with love, service is what it's all about. We are here to
develop the character of Christ, so we must constantly turn outwards
and look for the small ways we can serve others.

We were riding our bikes home last Monday night and I was going
downhill and hit some uneven sidewalk and was flipped over the handle
bars of my bike. Haha I saw my arm brake in the process. I'm lucky it
wasn't worse. My companion came whizzing behind me and she claims she
ran over my hair.
We were at the ER until about 1 am. They told me I needed surgery and
basically there wasn't anything they could do until then. So they
wrapped it up, broken.  On Tuesday I was grateful to get in with an
orthopedic first thing in the morning, and then we had lunch with Miss
Donna.  We tried to teach, but by 4 pm I was done and just went home
and cried it hurt so bad. I later received a priesthood blessing from
my branch president. On Wednesday we had district meeting and all the
elders gave me a blessing. Then we went to the surgeon. I feel
extremely blessed because I get to stay and finish my mission.
Normally with a procedure like this, and with especially how little I
have left on the mission they would have sent me home. I have been
blessed however for my diligence and obedience. Because of that, the
mission president wanted to keep me. And it probably only happened
because I had said I wanted to stay until December. If I were going
home in October I bet they would have just sent me home.
My biggest concern was about how the work would continue. We were
barely opening the area for sisters and we didn't have enough Spanish
sisters for someone to replace me. Thankfully we had a visa waiter in
Mexico get her visa! She arrived on Wednesday just in time to replace
me. On Thursday my mission President's wife took me to a surgical center where
they fixed my arm. I even had a visitor that knew me from when I was 
little, Rebecca Castleton!
 And I've been really just staying at the mission
President's place since. They put in a plate and 8 screws. I've been
better but I could be worse. Haha I went to church and a baptism
yesterday. That wiped me out. I'm hoping it's not much longer before I
get back to work. Until then ..... I'm catching up on years of general
conference.


Thank you so much for all the kind notes and emails. They have really
lifted my spirits.
It's kind of funny, just last Monday I wrote about sacrifice and how
the Lord asks us to sacrifice our will for his. When I saw my arm
brake my first thought was of Elvira and how when she was baptized she
said "Sea tu voluntad". "Thy will be done."

At first when I was sitting on the sidewalk holding my broken arm, I
admit I was a little confused. Was I not obedient enough? Maybe if I'd
prayed more. I should've said an extra prayer and this wouldn't have
happened. But then I thought of this little line from Mosiah 3:19
which says "willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit
to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father." The
fact is we live in a fallen world and trials come to everyone. I think
about the people in 4th Nephi who had 200 years of peace. Just because
they were so happy, I don't think it means they had 200 trial free
years. When we have the companionship of the Holy Ghost our hearts are
prepared and we are better able to confront whatever life throws at
us. I have a better understanding of that now. While this hasn't been
a pleasant week, I have felt peace and happiness from His spirit. I
have felt peace and joy while in times of trial and testing. That is
the promise of this gospel. That's why what we do is so important.
This peace and joy I feel can only come from the gift of the Holy
Ghost which is only possible through sacred ordinances performed by
the proper priesthood authority of God, which was restored by the
prophet Joseph Smith. I am able to feel Christ's complete succor (alma
7:11-14) because I have completely come unto Him. His gospel didn't
stop at faith and repentance for me. Because of the restored
priesthood I was baptized by the proper authority and have been given
the gift of the Holy Ghost. Each week I continue to practice faith and
repentance so I can come to church ready to renew those promises I
made at baptism, so I can have the promise of His spirit when I
partake of the sacrament, performed by the proper priesthood
authority. I know that this gospel is true. I know that God lives and
Jesus Christ is His son, our Savior and Redeemer.  I love this gospel
and I love this work. I hope to be back at it soon enough. 🙃

I love and miss you! Thank you for everything!
Love,
Hermana Wallis

The fixed arm!

Sister Greenman, Madeleine and the new missionary from Mexico