Monday, December 7, 2015

Week 29, Norcross, GA, Spanish speaking

Dear Family,
How was the Christmas devotional?! One of my most favorite Christmas
memories is watching the devotional in my pajamas with my brothers
while we all drank root beer from he bottles. This year, We had
invited all of our investigators to watch it with us at the church,
and they all cancelled. So by 7 we were out visiting, doing our back up plans. We
decided to visit this less active who's older, and really just
non-complacent about life so it has been hard to make progress with
her. We shared a short message with her about enduring to the end, and
she opened up to us about a language habit. At first I though she was
complaining about a friend's language habit, so I was saying pretty
bold things that I probably wouldn't have said if I had realized that
the one with the language problem was actually her. The gift of
tongues for me is sincerely divine. I have found that I only
understand what the Lord wants me to understand, and how He wants me
to understand it. He knows me so well.
We committed her to watch the Christmas devotional, but she wouldn't
come to the church. So we set it up for her on her tablet, but when we
looked at the clock, we still had about 30 minutes until it started,
and we didn't want to leave her because we wanted to make sure that
she actually watched the devotional. I looked at my Book of Mormon and
just said, "Let's read the Book of Mormon Christmas story!" We read 3
Nephi 1 and talked about the signs, and the people's faith, and then
related the end of the chapter back to enduring to the end because
even though these people had amazing spiritual experiences, they
failed to endure to the end and fell back into the habit of war. Then
we watched the Christmas devotional. At this point, HOW PERFECT was
Elder Bednar's talk?! She was so excited, "we were just reading about
this!" It was really cute. It was also sweet as she recognized the
tune of all the hymns telling us, "oh, I remember singing these
beautiful songs in church!" (I have to admit, I'm slightly
disappointed there isn't a secret Spanish Mormon Tabernacle Choir, so
they could at least translate that part. Oh well, the spirit has no
language.)
Yesterday Fanny left for Columbia. She has been so nervous. I looked
up her new Ward and church building for her and gave her the address
as well as the Bishop's name. She is so sweet. It was so sad this week
to not plan anything for her. It's really cool to think about how the
Lord's hand is in everything. I could have been called to Columbia and
taught her there, but he has me here and this mission has brought me
more blessings than I could count.
This week we are really excited because Elder Holland is coming to
Atlanta to speak with all the Relief Society this Friday, and then
this Saturday, He's going to speak to our Mission and the Atlanta
Mission. It's the best Christmas gift ever. I'm really excited because
it also means I will see my former companions again too.
I love being a missionary so much. I love this work. This week I had
been studying some of the talks from General Conference and a few of
them talk about how Laman and Lemuel had the same spiritual
experiences as Nephi, but their attitude and lack of spiritual habits
prevented them from ever growing spiritually. They chose to grow
bitter while Nephi chose to grow better. In the talk, "Turn to Him and
Answers Will Come" Elder Martino then compares Laman and Lemuel to the
sons of Mosiah: "Both groups of men were raised in righteous families,
yet both strayed. Both were called to repentance by an angel" but the
difference was that the sons of Mosiah developed spiritual habits of
obedience, daily scripture study, daily prayer, and sincere fasting
with prayer. Because of these habits, they were made strong in their
trials, unlike Laman and Lemuel. I think it also goes to show that
after the sons of Mosiah had repented, they wanted to grow closer to
the Lord and had that sincere desire. They changed their attitudes,
unlike Laman and Lemuel. Our attitudes make all the difference in this
life. No one is exempt from trials. We get to chose every day if we
are going to grow bitter, or better.
I know that this is the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that
He is our Savior and that He lives. I am so grateful for Him. I love
my calling, "to invite others to come unto Christ". 2 Nephi 19:6 " For
unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given; and the government
shall be upon his shoulder; and his name shall be called, Wonderful,
Counselor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of
Peace."
I love and miss you!!!
Love,
Hermana Wallis
Sent from my iPad