Monday, July 20, 2015

Kennesaw, GA week 9 HOT!

Hello!!!
Here are just a few of the things I have learned this week:
Atlanta is HOT.
I knew that. I just assumed US=AC= Problem solved. Didn't ever think
I would have to bike all day!!!! I feel like such a whimp, but
sometimes that is the hardest part of my day- leaving the AC to get on
a bike.... It is so humid we literally wake up with condensation on
our windows. You just sweat. All the time.
I think the Lord is giving me a great lesson in humility.
It's one thing to be in hot, humid weather when you can wear normal
clothes, or even swim! and drive an AC car. It's an entirely different
story to be on bike in church clothes.

Georgia has some serious Southern Storms...
So, when I complained to Him about the heat,  He sent the rain.
YUP.
On Saturday we were having dinner with a member at Cracker Barrel, (so
cliche, right? Georgia is Very country. But that's another point:) and
when it came time for the spiritual thought, it was so loud we decided
to go outside. Right as we are reading our scripture, some lightning
cracked the sky! We immediately just told him the scripture and
committed him to read it on his own time, because we were on bike and
knew that we had to go ASAP. It started raining as we were unlocking
our bikes, but as soon as we were riding, the flood gates opened! Its
funny, I forgot how real flash floods really are. It's actually fun to
be like, " I REMEMBER THIS WEATHER!" We were drenched. Literally
soaked. and we were on our bikes for only 20 minutes.

Outside of Atlanta is Country
On Saturday we got to go to a baptism for one of Sister Kafu's
investigators. So because Sister Kafu is a Sister Training leader, she
and her companion took over the area of the sister's who were in the
car accident. One investigator was particularly close to those
Sisters, so Sister Kafu and her companion grew really close to her as
they helped her through her grief and helped her continue learning
about our church and eventually make the decision to be baptized. It
was really special and neat that we got to go.
To get to go, we had to have a member and an investigator come with
us, and provide the ride.
It was about an hour's drive, but of course we got lost when they had
construction on the train tracks and the DETOUR signs were ghetto
sheets of paper with the word "DETOUR" spray painted painted on them.... It
was also quite the wildlife experience! We saw goats, and cows, and
horses.
I LOVE MY MISSION.
It is just so cute.

According to 3 witnesses + Snap Chat, We are attractive.
Last week our wonderful ward mission leader advertised us to the
branch by saying, "So we have Sister Wallis and her new companions and
they are very attractive so you should bring your friends to them and
they will get a lot of investigators on campus"
What?
He's from Nigeria.
We are giving him the benefit of the doubt.
Then when we were trying to get to know our member from the Congo, who
feeds us every week, he told us that he likes to feed the missionaries
because we are very attractive.
What if we were fat and ugly missionaries! Would we be fed?!
And third, we have our other investigator who always tells us we are
attractive. and He took Snap chat Selfies with us and posted it on his
story (which we figured is very good advertising) and he then told us
that everyone was snapping him back asking who we were because we were
all so "attractive".
So good job Mom and Dad. Your genetics are getting us food and investigators!
haha :)

I love being a missionary. It's the best calling. I am learning so
much- I feel like it is a very refining process. My companions are
amazing. They are so diligent and work so hard. It has been great!
We have been focusing a lot on the Book of Mormon, and reading with
our members and companions the first and last two paragraphs of the
introduction:

"The Book of Mormon is a volume of holy scripture comparable to the
Bible. It is a record of God’s dealings with ancient inhabitants of
the Americas and contains the fulness of the everlasting gospel....We
invite all men everywhere to read the Book of Mormon, to ponder in
their hearts the message it contains, and then to ask God, the Eternal
Father, in the name of Christ if the book is true. Those who pursue
this course and ask in faith will gain a testimony of its truth and
divinity by the power of the Holy Ghost. (See Moroni 10:3–5.)
Those who gain this divine witness from the Holy Spirit will also come
to know by the same power that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the
world, that Joseph Smith is His revelator and prophet in these last
days, and that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the
Lord’s kingdom once again established on the earth, preparatory to the
Second Coming of the Messiah."

How cool is it that the Book literally asks us to ask God about it! We
encourage questioning, and as missionaries, we are just guides to help
people discover the truth for themselves!
I love the Book of Mormon. It is such a powerful book. It has taught
me so much about our Savior and the atonement. I know that it is true.
It has guided me when I've needed guidance and has comforted me when
I've needed comfort. I love it, and I highly encourage daily reading
of it!
(I am actually reading it aloud in Spanish now and am hoping to finish
it by august! eep.) I feel so lucky that my whole purpose is to invite
and help others "Come unto Christ". The Book of Mormon is so crucial
to this. It is another Testament of Jesus Christ, and a part of it's
whole purpose is to testify to us that "Jesus Christ is the Savior of
the world". I know that Jesus Christ lives. He is my Savior and
Redeemer. I know that He know me personally, and He loves me. He
suffered for me so that I can not only repent, but that my burdens can
be made light. I love that I get to share this message every day.
As I strive to emulate Him in everything I do, especially as a
full-time representative, I am learning so much. It has been
incredibly humbling, but I needed some humility. I always do. :)

I love you so much! It looks like you are having a blast!
Love,
Sister Wallis
 Madeleine and Sister Stenquist (her first companion)
Hot, humid and wet on the missionary bike!

Sent from my iPad